Like any other crossfit athlete, I walk in to the gym with a bag large enough to go away for a three day weekend. If you’re a crossfitter, you probably can guess what items I have in my bag, because you have similar contents in yours. If you’re not a crossfitter, some of the things you may see in an athlete’s bag at any given time are: Weightlifting shoes, tape, wraps, a belt, a notebook, a spare outfit, extra socks, and extra food. We just feel the need to be prepared for whatever life throws at us.
While comparing the contents of my bag with a friend the other day, she pointed out that I really should include something on my list that, although it isn’t in my bag, always seems to be in my hand: BRUW’s cold brew coffee. I take the stuff everywhere and the gym is no exception. It’s just… crossfit goes better when I have cold brew on the way there. Warm weather and cold weather both call for cold brew in my book. Whether I’m training at 6am or 3pm, it just always seems like the right thing to add to complete my day. I should probably just start laying it out with my outfit the night before. But then I would have to put my outfit in the fridge, and that would get weird. Fast.
But why do BRUW and crossfit go so well together? I’ll give you a hint, there’s more to it than being able to wear the tank tops with super cute sayings like The answer is always squats and coffee and I lift a latte. I mean, those are good reasons, but for real…
1. Cold Brew makes for a great pre-workout. Forget the sucralose, the chalky powder, and the shaker bottle. This one is easy. Just crack the lid and enjoy.
2. Coffee has fat-burning properties that can cause fat cells to be used as energy (instead of glycogen). The high amounts of caffeine in BRUW will also give your metabolism a boost, allowing you to burn more calories as you go through your normal day. Consuming it before your workout will maximize this. Additionally, caffeine found in coffee is also known to regulate appetite and help you consume less food in general.
3. There has been many studies that suggest consuming caffeine, and therefore coldbrew, can help improve your endurance and stamina too, in the words of Kanye West, make you “better, faster, stronger.” “In one recent study, athletes who consumed caffeine pre-exercise burned 15 percent more calories for three hours post-exercise, compared to the control group” (Mercola).
4. If you’re in an afternoon slump, or you’re just not a morning person, it can pull you right out of the foggy-groggy state and improve your mental clarity and focus, thus your workouts will have more accuracy and efficiency to them.
5. Researchers at the University of Illinois concluded that those who consumed coffee prior to their workouts experienced less muscle pain during the workout than non-coffee drinkers alongside them. The athletes were able to complete more reps at a higher resistance and run faster and longer during cardio.
6. Coffee has more antioxidants than green tea, black tea, or red wine. It’s antioxidant properties can help prevent cancer, reduce aging, and prevent diseases such as Alzheimer’s and dementia.
See, guys, I don’t just BRUW so I can wear the cute tank tops with integrity. :)
Liked this article? Give it a share for a chance to win a year supply of Coffee for Cold Brew